On Tuesday 31st January 2017, the government marked a major milestone as the Policing & Crime Bill recieved Royal Assent.
The Bill amongst many other changes, will provide:
- an overhaul for how Police complaints are dealt with – to increase accountability
- Provide Chief Constables with greater scope to confer powers on Police Staff
- Allow the Home Secretary to specify police ranks in regulations (thereby creating a “flatter structure”)
- Change the response to those suffering a Mental Health Crisis
- Change pre-charge bail (to stop people remaining on bail for extended periods without judicial scrutiny)
Enclosed is a summary overview/fact sheet as published on the .gov site. Clearly there will be some interesting challenges and changes ahead for all operational officers.